the momentum

So here's the thing - writing blogs is atleast ten times easier than writing a cohesive and engaging story. I am writing a series these days. Series because I am still not confident about writing one long novel (or even novella) sized story. I am starting small with small stories that are united by one context. Anyways, the point is, once I thought of the idea, I wrote the first two stories fairly quickly. I was 'in the flow'. I wrote it when I was busy at work and home too. 3-4 projects at work, chores at home and yet I could write these stories fairly quickly. Now I have the idea for the third and fourth (and a complete new set of ideas for another series), but I simply have not written 'anything' in the last two months. I have been less  busy at work in this time, and home chores are now more manageable now that we are settled in a routine. Yet, I struggle.
One of the reasons for it taking that long is my lack of confidence in the subject matter. I spent considerable time in researching about the people and the world of the people I was writing about. But I think, something gave away after a week. I mean, the playful elasticity of time being spent writing the first two stories, was broken somehow after spending too much time researching the material. I have the story in my mind - I can visualise it- but I am not interested in it as much. I must write it and I will.
The way to that 'willed writing' is through writing more, I think. Hence these succession of blogs. I have noticed that I write more when I am busier. It is easy to start something when you already are doing something than to start something when you are not doing much. The momentum helps.
So, here's to that momentum. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The anthem of the deluded

Why I repair my shoe

new pov